Stachybotrys, more commonly known by its household name, Black Mold, is a certain strand of mold thought of as being a toxic mold due to its accelerated ability to cause irritations and allergens from exposure. Contrary to what many believe, mold itself is not toxic, but it is the mycotoxins produced by mold that actually cause problems from exposure. Black mold is no different. It is simply a particular genus of mold and may be toxic due to the levels of mycotoxins it produces.
Whether you have mold or black mold in your home, it is recommended that you call a professional to inspect and safely remove it from your living area. You may be tempted to try to figure out if the mold may or may not be black mold, but it is very difficult to accurately notice the difference in types of mold and all instances of mold exposure should be treated with the same precautions. Mold can be potentially harmful and cause poor air quality in your indoor environment. Hiring an experienced professional who knows exactly how to detect mold and how to use proven methods of removal is almost always required.
The Science of Black Mold
There are approximately 50 known species of Stachybotrys, but the more notable species are known as S. chartarum and S. chlorohalonata--What we label as black mold in the U.S. Black mold is distinguished by it's spores producing slimy heads versus the dry chains produced by the spores of other mold forms. We commonly experience black mold from the fungal growth on in areas of homes or buildings that have water damage. The mold grows and begins to create issues of poor air quality in the indoor living environment. When mold is detected in your home or business facility, having a professional test the air quality should always be one of the first steps. From, there the air quality can be assessed and any black mold can be removed.